Minor Eye Conditions Service
The new Plymouth based Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) provided by local optician practices went live on 1 October 2018. This service provides urgent eye assessments for patients complaining of recent/sudden onset of specific minor eye conditions. The service provides care closer to home, avoiding a trip to the hospital for patients who do not require emergency eye care, but need to be seen by an accredited eye care practitioner.
The following conditions may be seen by MECS:
- Red eye or eyelids with no loss of vision
- Dry eye, or gritty, or itchy and uncomfortable eyes
- Mild ocular pain (scale 1-5): 1-3 + better with pain killers
- Irritation and inflammation of the eye
- In growing eyelashes
- Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters < 3 months with no loss of vision – no curtain across vision
- Recent change or distortion of vision > 48 hours with no pain.
Please view the SIGNPOSTING DOCUMENT